Saturday, March 9, 2013

CCI dogs shopping

I got an e-mail this morning from my friend Doris, who lives in the metro Washington (DC) area.  She attached this photo, taken while she was out shopping. Doris must have spotted the CCI vest and made some comment about having a friend in San Diego who raises CCI puppies -- and she learned that this dog, Diane, was raised by Janice and Dan Flynn of Santee.  Doris wanted to know if I knew them. I shot back that of course I knew the Flynns. They're pretty legendary in San Diego -- raising something like their 16th or 17th puppy, almost all of which have graduated. We knew Diane too; had been to puppy classes that she attended!

Doris wrote that Diane's owner had said CCI dogs were the Rolls Royces of assistance animals.  "Her owner thanks you from the bottom of her heart for raising puppies... She was so thrilled to talk to me and hear about you." 

I felt the same way at hearing about the encounter. Of course we know the dogs can make a huge difference in their recipients' lives, but it's nice to be reminded of how much they're appreciated.

I kept that in mind when Dionne and I made our grocery-shopping rounds this morning: Costco, followed by three different grocery stores. It's a lot of walking back and forth and sitting and down-ing and jumping out of the car kennel (which Dionne has suddenly mastered.)

But she did it like a champ. Didn't make a single error. Won lots of praise and admiring glances. Will Dionne turn out like Diane? It's a tall order, but we can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment